December 21, 2012 is supposed to be the end of the world. Do you think it will it be a cataclysmic shift of Earth itself, a transformative shift in human consciousness, or something else?
This is a very interesting prompt. One which I’ve read about quite a lot recently.
The 2012 Apocalypse theories are criticised for a range of reasons. One being that there is no noted recording of the concept of apocalypse in the Mesoamerican Long Count Calendar that it’s based on. As with many ancient texts, the possibilities of varying interpretations are numerous. To assume that because an ancient calendar stops, it means the world will, is a bit presumptuous to say the least.
I have an issue with a lot of these `prophecies’. It’s not that I don’t believe it’s possible for these things to be true, it’s more that there is nothing concrete to back them up. We often forget that numbers, though applicable to almost everything, are a man-made concept and it takes only a minor alteration, or a new interpretation to completely change the meaning of something.
It’s reminds me of the Nostradamus hysteria. While it’s not entirely impossible that he could have predicted things accurately, we have no way of deciding exactly what he was referring to anyway. People apply modern situations to vague statements and decide that they fit. As writer’s we know more than most, how words can be twisted to mean different things. This is the same for ancient calendars.
Personally, I don’t believe in significant dates, as such, rather in events. One date in our calendar may have no significance at all in someone else’s calendar. I believe that we are small in the universe and can’t really have any concept of how the world will end. It could be that we destroy ourselves, it could be a massive solar flare that knocks us into the dark ages or it could be climate change. I’ve even heard theories that the universe is just a holographic projection.
Until we answer the very basic questions about the nature of our reality and the existence of our universe we can’t really make any definite conclusions about anything.
- Us Believers in The 2012 Apocalypse Plan to Flee in Droves to The French Mountain of Bugarach for Refuge (socyberty.com)
- Monbiot: Global Warming Jellyfish Apocalypse – End of Vertebrate Life Is Nigh. (hauntingthelibrary.wordpress.com)
- The Apocalypse: It’s Nothing New (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- Apocalypse how? French village seen as last refuge (cnews.canoe.ca)
- Rich Russians Buy Bunkers on Apocalypse Angst By Lyubov Pronina – (theboldcorsicanflame.wordpress.com)
- Apocalypse 2012: The Year of the Solar Flares (fringefiction.wordpress.com)